Thursday, January 8, 2009

"...There Was a Time, Not Long Ago..."


Ok, so maybe it's time for a little breather from the round-the-clock festivity of the holiday season, right? I don't know what it was this year, but the circuit in town these weeks since Thanksgiving was extra active...and you know me, I am right there, debating whether to spend all my hard-earned cash on the kids' Christmas gifts or babysitters so that I can partake in the maddness. And ok, after a while I saw some of my friends' outfits two, three and four times...and my velvet tuxedo pants and spiked Tory Burch-es certainly got a workout...but how could our wardrobes be expected to keep up with the frenetic pace? And it didn't end until '09 had already made its appearance...of course we could not say goodbye to the scene before Wendy (of the sand-pit, tiki-torch, Flying Muller Brothers band, teen-dream summer party a few posts back) could pull out all the stops with her WinterFest '09 this past Saturday night. And again, she and Roger outdid themselves....150 guests, tented yard, Broadway pianist providing the tunes, full, top-shelf bar flowing all night, sushi chefs deftly constructing the fresh spicy tuna rolls, roving photographers, late night sliders with fries and the most motley yet dead-on mix of neighbors and friends. As I worked the room with Suse...sharing tidbits and giggles with Mary, Kathy (ugh, that tragic card....), Gwen (rocking her hot stilettos once again...), Dana, Chris, Kim, Pina, Jen...I could go on...and you know, it was a perfect kiss-off to the mixed bag that was '08...everyone laughing and happy...the smile plastered across my face from beginning to end....

But now, I am ready to chill. Just hang in, wear pjs all day long, snuggle all warm with my babies in front of a movie, the three of them passing out with me in my bed. Bliss, right? And I know I am not alone in this desire to sort of rest a little as
 the weather gets darker and colder. My dear old friend, former roommate and bridesmaid, Lisa M., called one night just before the New Year and confessed that instead of going out that night she had hit Dean & DeLuca for a selection of French cheeses, cured olives, a nice baguette and a big bottle Cotes due Rhone...she had put her two kids to bed early, the husband was out gallivanting...and she couldn't be happier. And we laughed, not at her spinster's delight of an evening, but at my complete and utter jealousy...I was on my way to a really fun holiday wine pairing dinner with the Swingers, but I would have stripped off my 4-inch heels in a second to be on Lisa's sofa alongside her, talking and laughing into the wee morning hours. Such a change from what we would have been doing on a Saturday night back when we were roommates...just out of college, first apartment, before we lived in the City and were all paired up with our now husbands...before our careers took off and our children were born. Before we had responsibilities...

We lived across the river still at that time, but Lisa and I spent every weekend on the Upper Westside (which seemed slightly more grown up, not quite so littered with barf bars as was the Upper East Side at the time)...Hey, who didn't love The Bear Bar on Broadway (long gone)....and what about The Dublin House on 79th Street (also the site of my first date with Rob) with the two bartenders who both looked exactly like Phil Collins (were they brothers? There has to be some old Dublin House devotees out there who know the answer to that...). Lisa started dating this Dublin House mainstay, a big, beefy, self-important Fordham Law student...I think his name was Brendan...all I remember is that he smoked cigars that made us sick so we poured a beer on it one night when he wasn't looking and he almost lost his sh*t...hahahaha...what a complete jacka**! And every single time I hear the Spin Doctors ("If you want to call me baby, just go ahead now... "), I am immediately transported back inside that smoky crowded bar, Phil Collins 1 and 2 serving up Amstel Lights, Lisa and I both rocking those cowboy boot shoe things we girls all loved so much...ugh...what a horrific fashion trend...but so very '93, no?

The Dublin House is still there, by the way....I haven't hung out on the Upper Westside since those days with Lisa -- I quickly became a downtown girl upon moving to our tiny studio on West 10th Street after a brief stint on Columbus Avenue in '94. Anyway, I was so surprised that 
Dublin House was still there, though I am not quite sure why that was so shocking, really...other than the fact that I guess sometimes you assume, if you are no longer a part of something, then it no longer exists....And isn't that so true? I mean, I cannot be the only one who convinces myself that time stands still when we make an exit in life...like everyone that was there with you is in suspended animation, just waiting upon your return. In my mind, everyone I have left behind is living in some alternate universe, tapping their feet, wondering what is taking me so damn long...

So anyway, after I spoke with Lisa the other day, I so longed to penetrate that alternate universe, or at least relive the memories. So I pulled out the old mixed tapes and '90's playlists...and forget the Spin Doctors...the true icon of that era, for Lisa and I at least, was the goddess of glum, Aimee Mann. The former lead singer of early '80's one-hit-wonder, 'Til Tuesday, Aimee Mann, is of course the poet laureate and patron saint of wallowing, upper-middleclass, gullible, post-collegiate English majors. Lisa and I fit squarely within her target demo, and as such, it was our calling in life to overplay her discs until everyone in the room either writhed in the pain of lost love or wanted to commit suicide. Some of our favorite tracks on her solo debut, Whatever (even the name "Whatever" denotes Aimee's depressed genius...love her...), were entitled: "Stupid Thing," "I've Had It," and "I Know There's a Word for This." I mean, can't you just feel it??? Yes, Aimee, we hear you...men are cruel b*stards! every last one of them! Oh, and I would be remiss not to mention that we also had 'Til Tuesday's great disc, Everything's Different Now, on heavy 
rotation and we would play "Lucky" ("I wish you believed in life, believed in fate, believed you were lucky and worth the wait, cause life could be lovely, oh life could be f**king great....") over and over. Yeah...so you can see where we were coming from...And listening to Whatever brought it all back in a flood, like the soundtrack to a great old movie, scenes playing over and over in my brain...and I kind of felt as though I was secretly peering into that alternate universe -- or as Aimee might say, the other end of the telescope -- watching my 23 year-old self figure it all out.


So eventually Lisa and I grew out of the post-collegiate pixie stage and both moved in
to the City, met the guys who would become our husbands and set upon our professional lives, building our futures. Lisa went on to a truly illustrious career as the Director of Design with AOL, and now is a partner in her own design firm based in DC. We both have kids and chat only fleetingly these days...and every time we do, we talk about getting together for more grown up pursuits...spa visits, girls' weekends, Oscars viewing parties, martinis and bellinis at The W Union Square. And you all know what I went on to do...ups and downs, career changes and professional hijinks and chef crushes and kids and friends and shoes and gourmet cooking nights and secrets and lies and boy bands...and that I eventually ended up here...writing this blog that I named, "Thus It Continues." ....And you know, my dear Lisa is the only one out there who ever figured out that the blog's title is inspired by a favorite line written by our favorite poet, Aimee Mann, from a favorite song, "J for Jules," on an old favorite disc, Whatever...


So maybe a small part of me hasn't quite completely moved beyond those days...and that's ok, right? I hope so, because all this Upper Westside flashbacking and Spin Doctors talk has me jonesing for a smoky, crowded, loud Dublin House run...Did I say I wanted to chill out for a few weeks? Forget that!...Come on...who's with me?!













Photo 1: Me and Suse...quite a self-portrait we attempted there...says it all as the season comes to a close....
Photo 2: Some of the neighborhood posse staking out the slider and fries delivery well past midnight...
Photo 3: Now that right there is hot sex on a plate, no???
Photo 4: The Lady Swingers cozying up to our true loves...about 800 bottles of wine...
Photo 5: BFFs Allison, me and Lisa preparing to hit the Upper Westside, Summer '93...our glamorous apartment had no hot water, but dammit, we had a stairmaster!
Photo 6: Big sis, Cathleen, with Lisa at another great old bar, The Ginger Man...Cath taking part in some cigar smoking (how '95 of her...)...I don't believe this ever really happened though because I was obviously absent...
Photo 7: Lisa's BFF, Mikki, me and Lisa...on the way to Dublin House...I remember I was wearing Tevas that night (swear to G*d!)...
Photo 8: All hail...the great Dublin House...
Photo 9: Goddess...author of the words: "...like most amazing things, it's easy to miss and easy to mistake...for when things are really great, it just means everything's in its place..."
Photo 10: Goddess now so damn depressed she can't even lift her head for the cover shot...Whatever...
Photo 11: Allison, Lisa, Heidi and Liesl, now grown ups...no more Dublin House...The Hunt instead!
Photos 12 & 13: Some of my naughty partners in crime...Suse, Lisa and Latzy...odds are one of them is on way over as I write, ready to head to The Dublin House...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog and I love you. Much more shocking than the shoe-boots we wore is the size of my eyebrows! That whole Brendan period of my life could aptly be called "I'm with Stupid."

How time flies my dear friend. Next time I am in NYC, lets forgo the Bellini's and have a Captain Morgan's and coke at the Dublin House. I promise not to punch anyone on the way out.

Anonymous said...

We stayed local this holiday season and, although we didn't jet off to exotic locales (Iceland, Bora Bora, the Midwest), I am in total agreement that this festive holiday season seemed extra-festive. I wasn't too upset, however, when Joe, Scott or Tim saw me in the same sport jacket and sweater more than once.

I am also extremely happy for this post...a few days ago, I started to hear massive amounts of Aimee Mann being played, which, knowing Suz and her “friendship” w/ Aimee, is usually not a good sign for me, but just as I was getting a bit concerned, I read the post and it all made sense!

I too, am ready to kick back and lay low in this New Year...and since there isn't much room left on our bed with all 3 kids & Suz watching a movie, I'll be watching the football playoffs. Can't wait, GO GIANTS!!

Anonymous said...

Next time we're all ready for a serious bout of introspection and dark reflection, let's do an Aimee Mann & Morrissey afternoon. We can determine who hits the core better. Morrissey always makes it seem happy when indeed the lyrics are so miserably depressing.

I too am spent from running about for what seemed like the entire month of December. It was great and well worth the scant bags under my eyes. Wendy, my left foot still hurts from those heels Sat night...great gig!

Anonymous said...

Ah the Dublin House, the sight of many fun evenings for me as well. Started hanging out there in the late 80s (scary) AND best of all it was the site of the Thanksgiving eve 1989 snowstorm debacle when I broke my ankle (wearing Justin cowboy boots of course!) after diving of the few small steps outside the DH onto my friend Carols back only to have her slip in the blizzard that whipped up while we were inside and she fell on top of me and broke my ankle! And stupidly enough I drove home a car full of girls to Fort Lee in the snow storm with a broken right ankle. Of course had to lie to my parents and said I "fell in the driveway" since I was just a babe of 19 at the time and I probably would have owned a nice piece of the Dublin House after my parents sued them! love your writing and thanks for the memories.

Anonymous said...

Suz - another good one - for the commuter from NJ - I would be in visiting Tess at her restaurant (she's the sous chef) on the UWS (Ocean Grill) and we would hit the Dublin House on our way home... all the time. She frequented it much more than I did and probably knows the answer to your Phil Colins question - I will be sure to ask. Always enjoy your blogs - so entertaining. Nice work and let me know when the book is published.

Anonymous said...

That's funny Suzanne, I spent MANY summer nights at the Dublin house 1985-88 before I was 21!!! Know it Well!

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy the great reds that hit so near to all of our lives. I didn't have the DH but I did have my own...don't we all!