Monday, October 6, 2008

'Cause I Want It That Way...???

You are most definitely going to lose a small modicum of respect for me today...and I am prepared really...I mean, apparently I am embracing the possibility...Ok, so...here goes....
I rock out every single morning to the Backstreet Boys.

There. I said it....and now, as is my way, I will backtrack and explain what has possessed me to put the words "rock out" and "Backstreet Boys" in the same sentence when I am not quite sure they even belong on the same page.

I am a Rittereiser to the core, short attention span and all (for those of you without intimate knowledge of what that means, my patience is nil and being kept waiting only diverts my attention to the next best thing...on the plus side, we Ritts are a dynamic lot...), and long-ago I became bored with commuting on the train each morning to and from Lafayette Street. Instead, I have been driving myself to the office and parking in a little outdoor lot where the Salvadoran attendants take special care to lord over my vehicle while I am toiling away across the street. At any rate, my dear Dad has kindly lent me his extra car -- a little blue Jaguar -- while Rob and I are between leases. Though the car is a Westside Highway guy-magnet (a nice boost to the ego though most of my suitors tend to be of the 50-plus/ginormous SUV-driving/outer-boroughs variety who no doubt have pegged me as some jaded Jersey trophy wife), the CD collection is sorely lacking. So, when I get tired of listening to Opie and Anthony and their band of misogynistic (but undeniably hilarious) merrymakers, I pop-in a mixed CD I found in the glove compartment and bathe in the sounds of the guiltiest of guilty pleasures...crappy boy band music. I cannot resist the sappily sincere opening guitar chords...gets me every time...and I start the dancing behind the steering wheel...right there on the GWB.



You are my fire
The one desire
Believe when I say
I want it that way
But we are two worlds apart
Can't reach to your heart
When you say that I want it that way

Tell me why
Ain't nothin' but a heartache
Tell me why
Ain't nothin' but a mistake
Tell me why
I never wanna hear you say
I want it that way


But it gets better, because I am a full-on car singer...even when I am with other people, which I know is so completely dorky that I expect a few of you will never speak to me again. When I was driving our Volvo SUV I could go full-on Mariah, virtually unnoticed by fellow drivers due to the shaded windows and the height of the car. Thing is, I keep forgetting that in the Jaguar everything I do can be viewed in full by other drivers. Needless to say, almost every morning one of my Westside Highway admirers waves to me while I am getting my boy band on. Yeah, so it's kind of embarrassing...but, come on...those big lung belt-outs are deeply satisfying as well.

I know some (most?) of you are with me in this...I just got back from a Girls Weekend and openly made fun of my darling ADP who stacked her iPod shuffle with so many American Idol contestants and show tunes I was starting to wonder if I had gone away with the Golden Girls by mistake (I think I might be the Blanche Devereaux, by the way....). But secretly I was loving it. And the other day Suse and I were driving home from our big Apple Fest at ADP's and Erasure's "A Little Respect" came on, and believe it or not, the two of us who together could talk a dog off a meat truck finally shut up long enough to sing:

I'm so in love with you
I'll be forever blue
That you give me no reason
Why you're making me work so hard

What is it though about those badly written, saccharine, goppy, totally unthreatening pop tunes that make us feel so damn good? Even the ones masquerading as "rock" songs do it for me...you know the type: Journey's "Separate Ways"...Styx with "Lady"...we all know those dudes are one step away from Lance Bass and are basically just boy bands with hangovers, bad fashion sense and signature white trash mullets. So make fun of me all you want...because I know I am not alone....Who hasn't cranked up "Sister Christian" with a little air-guitar thrown in...or sang the ba-ba-ba-ba's along with David Cassidy in "I Think I Love You"...and I personally think you are kind of a traitor to the female gender if you haven't tried to reach the 5 octave spread that alien-freak-goddess Celine Dion cranks in "Power of Love"....even Gwen, by far my coolest friend of all, will have to admit she is guilty of that indiscretion. It feels good to come clean, no?

Speaking of Gwen....she knows me so damn well...she had no clue whatsoever what I was writing about this week, but she called me at 9:00 a.m. on the button this past Sunday morning to make sure I knew that the greatest guilty pleasure movie in history (no guys, not Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze) was being shown on TNT as we spoke -- Selena starring the marginally talented Miracle Mile diva, Jennifer Lopez. Frankly...I need a whole week to document the sheepish joy and dependable sob-fest that film provides, not to mention how Selena's Tejano tunes bring a little bit of sunshine to a rainy day. Speaking of which, I am so burning a CD of the soundtrack as we speak so I can rock out to a little "Bidi-Bidi-Bom-Bom" tomorrow on the Westside Highway....look for me!

xoxo, Suz


Photo 1: Oh good lord...they are just too cheesy to even make fun of....but boy they sing some catchy tunes...
Photo 2: A selection of Rittereisers totally ready to throw because we have been asked pose for more than 30 seconds...
Photo 3: My ride...sleek, peppy...a suburban dude magnet...
Photo 4: The O&A virus....
Photo 5: There I am...getting down to some craptastic '80's pop classic while an admirer looks on...just another morning on the Westside highway...
Photo 6: Blanche Devereaux: slutty and 60-plus...still bringing it...
Photo 7: Ooooh...tough guy rockers...
Photo 8: J.Lo as Selena: Yummy delicious guilty pleasure...love that ghetto red lipstick!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!! There is nothing I like better than catching someone belting out a tune while driving solo...

This happenned to me once and I was just mortified...I was working in the Oil Factory for the summer & the guys there knew me as the deadhead/classic rock loving son of the CAO of the entire company. One day, at the stoplight outside of the plant, I am singing at the top of my lungs, Cheesburger in Paradise when Mike, the very cool, Harley riding forklift driver pulled up next to me and just about pissed himself laughing...needless to say, I spent the rest of the summer living it down...

Anonymous said...

Oh don't be ashamed, Suz! Not only to do I love the BSB (oh yeah, I abbreviate) but I have actually choreographed full-on dance routines to several songs from their "Backstreets Back" album. And I am equally obsessed with several other 90's boy bands - like NSync (I can do the whole "Bye Bye Bye" routine - seriously) and, of course, NKOTB (New Kids on the Block). I was actually a little jealous when I tuned into the Today show a few weeks back and saw NKOTB performing live to a swaying crowd of 35+ year old women. I shoulda been there! I will have to burn you a copy of my 90s mix, so you can rock out to all of my favorite cheesy tunes. Awesome post!!

Anonymous said...

The guilt is rising to the surface...not only do i enjoy a few Backstreet tunes, i downloaded the Weird Al "ebay" song so I could sing the other words. Oh the shame. My ipod has all sorts of embarassing nuggets, perhaps the worst of the lot being "like whoa" from Ally & AJ. I pretend it's for my son, but...
Someday if you see an extra spring in my step on the walk to/from town, it could very well be a lil' N'synch or Markie Mark and the Funky Bunch. Thanks for the chuckle Suz! I only resort to car singing for 'ass rock' metal songs. Wade is a notorious car singer.

Anonymous said...

Ok well I'm a complete and total car singer!!!!!!
Top of my lungs drum on the steering wheel etc etc etc
Classic rock dead head zeplin fan etc. You know I wore feather earrings in high school!!!!

Well I guess I've had a mid life crisis
Check out my SHRINE to American Idols on myspace! My guilty pleasure. I can't really stomach the "boy bands" but American idol winner David Cook and runner up Michael Johns!!!!! LOOOOOVE THEM!!! :-*
My husband doesn't quite know when i changed from his rockin' wife to the idol groupie!
Even went to the concert and stopped by early to get autographs and meet them over the summer!!

LOL!!!!
What a goober I am

Anonymous said...

I remember us singing "Here I go again" by Whitesnake in your volvo circa 1987, and "We're halfway to Scooters" w/ Lawrence...

Anonymous said...

to make you feel better, if you could see my list of newly purchased tunes from i-tunes you'd be ashamed, or maybe very impressed.

a little "we are the world" perhaps? carpenters? "sunshine day" by the brady bunch? maybe even a favorite church song or two?

Anonymous said...

Very funny. I confess - my karaoke personal fav is Bon Jovi's "Dead or Alive". Who doesn't love belting out "on a steal horse I ride" You neglected to mention your early love for boy band of all boy bands - MENUDO!!! Did I even spell that right?