Thursday, September 11, 2008

Baby 2001...Love Note...

Ok, so...I cannot let this day go by without acknowledging its meaning. Of course, the memories of what took place on That Tuesday seven years ago will always be with us, but, you know, I am not going to dwell on that here. I simply want to say that this time of year I recognize my blessings...now so much more than I did before. And I think you should know, my friends, that I count you among those blessings....

One of the greatest moments of my life took place mere days after....On September 19, 2001, I gave birth to our second child and first son. He was was big and meaty (still haven't quite figured out how he fit inside my 5-foot body...), flawless and angelic (barely made a sound for 6 months...). Everyone around us rejoiced in his birth -- finally a happy moment, after days of bad news. We named him Timothy Clarkin Anderson -- his middle name in honor of my long gone maternal grandfather, John Clarkin McKenna, who happened to be, in life, a New York City fire fighter.

Tim is bright and adept and handsome and perfect...yeah, yeah, I know I am being profuse, but I am his completely besotted mother. He's quiet, but sometimes he whips out with these random sarcastic comments and intelligent putdowns, and we can do nothing but shake our heads in amazement. And you know, Tim is the only one of our three who favors my looks and coloring...and also like me, he truly believes he is always right.

So...I guess having been gifted something (someone) so unimaginably divine in light of all the maddness that fateful week brought home the truth that was hard to face back then. This child, born only 8 days later, was early living proof that life goes on...and joyful moments return. And here we are...how lucky are we?

Love you all...this day and always....
Suz

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how sweet....tears are falling. Thank you, and I love you too!

Anonymous said...

Sniffle....sigh...smile.

Anonymous said...

I remember that day seven years ago today well for so many reasons...for bearing witness to the worst tragedy I'll ever see to making sure everyone I knew downtown was OK, for trying for figure out how to get out of town that day, etc, etc, etc...

One of my biggest fears, however, was a thought I had running through my head throughout he day...I am stuck here in town, with no way out and I know Suz is going to go into labor and I won't be able to be there to see my child's birth and will not be able to support my wife through childbirth...thankfully that didn't happen and Tim doesn't have to celebrate his birthday on a day of rememberance like this one (it is no fun, just ask Vito Corelone... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OKIQ16a7VE )...

Anonymous said...

Thank you Suz for sharing your blessing with us. We conceived Nicholas a week after you birthed Tim, and it was hard to reconcile the joy I felt from knowing I had this little baby growing in me, and the deep sadness I felt knowing so many others had died. Seeing that empty smoldering hole twice daily on the ferry and smelling that undescribable odor (we lived in J.C.)made the contrast a daily battle.

We are indeed all blessed, and today is a day to remember that. Thanks for reminding us.

nameleftblank said...

This is so beautiful. And so is your Tim. Thank you so much for sharing this today.

Anonymous said...

Thank you...your words have soothed my heart today.

Anonymous said...

Boy, do you know how to tug at a heartstring. Thank you for this. I count Tim as one of my blessings as well... Love you.

Anonymous said...

As a girl growing up in Manhattan, the first thing I saw when I looked out my bedroom window were those towers standing majestic and strong. They were practically in my backyard... On 9/11, seven years ago, I not only watched there destruction (and of those lives lost) but the destruction of many of my childhood (and adult) memories. (( See, I never really ventured far from home. I went to college in downtown Manhattan and worked in the Financial Center (my last real job before I had Andie)). Like Rob, I was overcome with fear worrying about loved ones still working and living downtown. I know today reopens old wounds for so many people. Keeping those in my mind, I use this day to say a pray for the lives lost and for those still so devastated by the events that took place that dreaded morning. But like Suzanne, I also remember the good. I am so grateful for all the blessings in my life, especially my family and friends. Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts today.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! What a way to say thank you and to recognize the blessings!

Anonymous said...

This was very sweet. I was pregnant with Matthew on 9/11...I remember thinking how can I bring a child into a world filled with such madness. Seven years later Matthew is so blessed to have such a great friend like Tim.

Tina Wolf said...

Hi Suzanne,
Thank you for including me, it is so nice to hear some news from you, now that we are in Norway.
A lot has happened in the past 7 years. I remember how frigtened I was on 9/11, home alone and pregnant with Maya, but at the same time I felt a great relief. Geoff used to work on the 85th floor of the WTC and his company had gone under just a month befor. There is a reason for everything.
We miss you guys and hopefully with this blog we can stay in touch. Maya and Tonje misses their buddies. They have many new friends here in Norway, but Maya in particular misses the old bunch. Take care and keep on writing.
Tina