Friday, March 19, 2010

We're Havin' A Party...Everybody's Swingin' (...well, not like that...)

I bought 6 party dresses to choose between...I
wore none of them...instead I wore a strapless stretch cotton dress from J.Crew that has been in my closet since Spring 2000...10 years and 2 pregnancies ago. What a jacka**...I know, I know. I mean, there were issues with each of the newly purchased dresses (which were all chosen with one thought in mind -- they would showcase my shoes...the shoes...my 4-inch high, platform-toed, fuchsia-bowed, black suede, Kate Spade slingbacks...)....anyway, as I said there were issues or concerns with each of the dresses -- a little short...a little low cut...a little too "mother of the bride meets sophomore semi-formal,"... waist too loose...won't zip over bust...you name it. Anyway, I made a final choice from the purchased dress selections...a black accordion-pleated, cinched-waist, straight neckline, adjustable satin "bra" straps....and it was accentuating the exposed décolletage, I will admit...and I was a little nervous with the low-lying neckline, you know, my dad and my uncles and my nephew and my friend's husbands really didn't need to see that...but I figured: Why not? Why not try a new look?

Well...because, you may end up looking like a tragic cougar...that's why.

Ok, ok...maybe that's harsh but, whatever....it was the dress and it's padded upper half (which, sorry, I don't want or need help with...)...coupled with my hair, which had been painstakingly glazed and flattened and coiffed and shined up by Dogan...and, finally, the Channel 41 Mexican telenovela make-up job that had been professionally applied in my kitchen only minutes before I dressed... The final result: I looked like Sharon Stone as a Glamour "Don't"...And I was leaving for the party in 15 minutes...SH*T!!!!!!!!

So I scrambled to the bathroom and frantically wiped off a good portion of the powdery under-the-eye eyeliner and the blush...I applied some concealer

and some well-placed mascara...and soon, I looked like me...made-up me, glamorous me...but me... Then I tore that accordion-pleat dress off my body and began rifling through the rest of the purchased selections: No, not the one that won't zip over my bust...that won't work...and neither will the mother of the bride meets the sophomore semi-formal...mother of f**k! I am screwed!!! And then, I remember...the ten year old strapless black J.Crew number with the ruffled bodice and tasteful just-above-the-knee length...I rip through the closet and find it waiting for me, under its innocent little dry-cleaning sleeve...I put it on...Ellie zipped me up...the shoes on my feet...gorgeous, diamond drop earrings in my ears (an unbelievable surprise gift earlier in the week from my dear girlfriends...)...and the transformation was complete -- Sharon Stone -- out...Party Suz -- in...

Phew...that was a close one! A lesson learned, even at this age -- stick with the look you have cultivated...there is a reason it works...


So...I was off...headed to City Hall in Tribeca where the celebration of my birth would commence...

And what can I say, really...so many friends that I truly love were invited to be there, and most of you were...or with me in spirit... My beloved Mom and Dad, our hosts who charmed the room...and the extended family (Uncle Freddy postponing a trip to China so he could be there...now that is the kind of devotion I can get behind...)... and my inner circle and my besties and my roommates from college down from Boston and friends from town and work friends and new friends and old... And there were some my favorite gays in the house along with my young 20-something posse (Yo, Britt!), who were gracious enough to say that my friends and I made "The New 21" look really good...because, well...we do! And as always I had my oldest and dearest girlfriends there, with whom, honestly I could have the time of my life just splitting a couple of Coronas and a bag of Bachman Pretzel Rods (they are the best, don't even try to make a case for Mr. Salty...).

But instead it was a Big City party...passed hors d'oeuvres and Kir Royale and red velvet cupcakes...ADP's trusty iPod providing the playlist (Erasure!!..."I'm so in love with you/I'll be forever blue"...). And it was a whirlwind, with moments of clarity...like the flash of Mary's camera, documenting each of these moments for me with her amazing talent...and when RJP approached me and said: "Hey, nice work serving gourmet sliders on a Friday in Lent..." Oops!!! Well, I promptly checked out the slider bar, next to the seafood tower, and there was a line of badass Catholics defying their faith, sucking down the beefy goodness...so there you go...see you all in hell (can't wait!)... And, you know, there were all these sort of blind connections, false familiarity...like when my godmother, Aunt Annette, was recognizing all of you from this blog, right here...she says to me: "There's Helen!...and Suse!...Oh and Kathy too!..."...And ADP made her way over to my high school Heathers, whom she recognized from our pithy commenting while Facebooking, and she goes: "You're Sally Hur!"...and Sally was freaked out, like a deer in headlights...like, "should I know this person???"... And then Gwen told me that someone stopped her in the bathroom and said: "You're one of the besties!"....it went on like that all night....



















And even though I knew who was coming I was beyond excited to see each new guest walk in...when my roommates from college arrived, I just squealed and carried on, many hugs...and the high school friends, who had taken me out earlier in the week, still I engulfed each of them as they entered the room...And then there was all the random catching up... telling my uncle how TL had dinner with someone who knew him, and she told TL: "That Freddy Ritt was crazy!!"...Freddy loved that... And my cousins, who always busted my chops for being the dreamy princess, were telling stories about my childhood clairvoyance and my age three predictions and assertions of who I knew in a former life...etc., etc... I am pretty sure I predicted a few of you back then. So I sat down here and there and slipped in and out of each little group and caught a little bit of each conversation.... You know...there were so many people I wanted to spend every minute with...but instead I bopped around and I had moments with each of my friends and family...I didn't eat a thing and I barely finished a drink, though I seemed to be clutching a champagne flute at every turn...

















And then....my Dad took the stage and made a toast...

In all honesty, I cannot fully recall everything that was said because I was overwhelmed but beaming on that stage, in front of a room full of people I genuinely love all laughing and smiling back at me. So, you know...Dad proceeded to roast me a little...mock me a little (stories of my legendary poor focus on school work...the year I laughed off a bad grade, saying to my teacher: "Really, Miss Wess, let's face it...this isn't going to keep me out of college..." and Dad's punchline: "It almost did." I took the abuse like a champ, because of course he also took the moment to adore me a little...and to tell the crowd, my friends, how he sees me, how I fit in their universe, who I am in their eyes and what I have meant to them... And he brought down the house, women and men falling for him...as always...

And it was like every emory I have ever had was coming to life in that room...at every turn, someone whom I knew and loved and whose influence had impacted my life in some way. And I feel like I have been talking about this every single time I write...but it is always true...I always stand outside myself and cannot believe how blessed I have been...how many great times I have had...and the amazing people I share them with...

And truthfully, I know we are meant to be here with one another because even if I had shown up in the tragic, desperate Sharon Stone/Channel 41/Cougar look, you would have embraced me and I, you...because we are connected at the heart...and I predicted long ago that I would find you and that we would be forever friends...

xoxo



Ok...so, milestone passed...time to look ahead and move on to the next celebration...which is....

Holy Thursday dive barring at Nancy Whiskey!!

My favorite of all holidays...I mean, I have said it before and I will say it again -- when else is it appropriate to honor Jesus' death while also celebrating Sam's birthday/quasi-bachelorette party and the post work, Lenten wind-down with Cath, RJP and the Mad Men posse... So...mark your calendar, hire your sitters and take off work...Holy Thursday, April 1st...see you there (yes, I mean you Stacey...and you too, Gwen...)... Maybe for giggle I will throw on my cougar dress...if you are lucky...

Love, Suz
Photos:

1. Inviting you to witness "The New 21"...gotta keep telling myself that...
2. Sharon Stone rocking the cougar's obligatory purple mink wrap...so tasteful and age appropriate...
3. Me, in my party-wear post strip-down/scrub-fest... Ahhh...much better...
4. (left to right) Freddy Ritt, Mr. Alter, Me and Dad...my best guys (next to Will and Tim...)...
5. (left to right) Some of the Wyckoff posse: Pina, Gwen and Paul...
6. (left to right) Christina and Sally, of the High School years...
7. Dearest friend and house photog, Mary, with Me in a stunning self-portrait...my surprise diamond earrings making an appearance...
8. (left to right) More of the Wyckoff townies: Joanne, Helen, Barry, Nancy, Amber, Scott and Mike...and this was only one drink in...
9. (left to right) A collection of favorite girlfriends: TJ, Suse, Me, ADP and Helen...
10. (left to right) My girls Kathy W. and Sam...Kathy R. in background holding court...
11. (left to right) The Stonehill class of '92 contingent: Jeanne, Laurene and Susan...Jeanne and Susan my besties and roommates at the Sem and then again in Orleans A...
12. (left to right) Nancy Whiskey regulars, Big sis Cath and RJP with great friends, Eric (my mom's crush...), Me and Heidi...
13. (left to right) A few drinks in...Lisa D., SisterG and her eyelashes along with Ann...
14. Dad roasts and toasts me...I think my cheeks still hurt from smiling that hard...
15. (left to right) Oldest friends, best friends...as Stacey might say: the Wh*res on the Hill (aka the Holy Angels gang...): Stacey, Danielle, Casey, Me, BFFL Allison and Bridget...
16. (left to right) Mrs. Alter, Pat Ritt (aka Mom), ADP and Me...see, I told you I had a Mom...here she is celebrating the birth of her favorite child...

2 comments:

KR said...

i'm so glad BT could represent your 20s posse! the party looked like a blast -- is the toast on tape? xoxo

Unknown said...

love my shout out! your party was amazing!!