Monday, October 19, 2009

And I Would Walk 500 More...

I was seriously afraid to sit down and take part in the foot massaging station, even though my feet were screaming at me…totally pissed and rebelling with all their might. But if I sat in one of those comfy chairs with the electronic back massager contraption…would I ever get up? I decided to take my chances…and I ended up being one of the lucky ones, because I got to sit next to my bestie, Lisa, of the Beard Sisters…some of our teammates were scattered about, next to people they didn’t know…in fact, Wendy ended up seated right next to my sister-in-law, Megan…remember her? I hadn’t seen her once since those first two miles and then there she was, right next to Wendy in the foot massage station. But Wendy was lucky…PJ had asked the girl who ended up next to Lisa if she could have that seat so she would be with her teammates, and the girl practically bit her head off…guess all that “We did it!” goodwill had skipped over that b*tch…PJ was a little stunned, but moved on…

And so it was…Lisa and I chit chatted a little and Megan came over to say goodbye…and I will say, Megan and Mary and Kerri and Sam, who are all marathoners and/or triathletes, each said that they could not believe how hard it was to walk 26 miles, and how banged up they felt…so I felt a little less guilty and slothful than I might have when Lisa and I finally rose from those chairs after 15 minutes of massage and electronic heat and could barely move my legs to carry me out of the tent…I looked like a 90 year old woman with a prosthetic leg. Had a feeling the sit-down would come back to haunt me…how the hell was I supposed to lay in bed all night and still be able to get up and walk the next morning?

Somehow it was Suse who was able to move about most readily, Lisa and I depending fully on her relative dexterity…she took on big sis role to me in addition to her actual sister and had already talked to Mary and Sam and Helen who were headed to The Shoreham in advance of us, and she found the rest of our team so we could all say goodbye, and then she went to the Info booth and got the Walk route for the next morning and then found out where the buses taking us back to Manhattan were parked. So as Lisa and I limped along behind her on way to the shuttle buses, Lisa told me she felt nauseous…and I looked at her and she was truly ashen…with white lips…in fact, her brown eyeliner, probably applied 12 hours earlier, stood out…almost cartoonish…jumping off her face at me. So I called out to Suse with a lame: “Your sister is going to get sick…” And thankfully, as she reached us…the moment had passed…but Lisa still looked like a pale white ghost as we took our seats on the shuttle bus, in the way back, right next to the bathroom…you know, just in case....

On the way back to Manhattan we talked of cheeseburgers and beer and room service…long hot baths and massages…soft downy pillows and warm cozy blankets. We hoped Mary would have all of the above waiting for us upon return…only a few minutes now….

And then the bus stopped on Lex, near some side entrance to Grand Central Station…and it took us more than a few minutes to rise from our seats and limp down that narrow bus aisle and down those steps onto the sidewalk, where they dumped us for good. So then we stood there, for 20 minutes, trying to hail a cab….no dice…just so not happening…and we are getting so discouraged…thoughts of warm baths and cheeseburgers slipping away. We start inching back up Lex thinking we might catch one on the cross streets…but there were all these people hailing cabs too…and they could move and run so they had the upper hand on us…we three weak little ladies, Suse the only one strong and useful enough to even attempt the process…again, we became fully dependent upon her.

So then one of those car service Lincoln Town Cars in between jobs drives up and asks us if we need a ride…and we know you are not supposed to get into those cars…we know that it is illegal…but we didn’t f&%$ing care…getting into that backseat was the fastest I had moved all day. We are at 46th and Lex and we tell him that we are going to 55th between Fifth and Sixth…and he says: “$20 plus tip…” And though on a normal day with no injuries, we could walk this route for free in 12 minutes tops, we jump on the deal and off we go. So our driver Hector or Miguel or Jose is a nice fellow and introduces himself and as we scoot up 45th Street, heading West, he tells us that Sixth Avenue was closed for a street festival. So I think to myself, so what? You will make a right onto Madison and a left onto 55th and we will be home free…But, stupidly, in a misguided bulls**t attempt at politeness, I do not verbalize this notion…I know, not like me but you see, a few weeks ago there was this mean cabbie who snapped at me, so I was a little gun shy…and wouldn’t you know it…the dude screams through the light at 45th and Madison to my utter amazement…sonofab*tch!!! And there we are, stuck in the vortex of hell…can’t turn up Sixth because of that fair, right? So instead, we have to go all the way to Eighth, through Times Square on a Saturday night….I am seeing red, but so exhausted too…and pissed at myself…

“Wait, wait, wait…” was all I could manage…


And Hector/Miguel/Jose goes -- now remember, all we want is a bed and some room service and some cushy blankets -- and he goes: “Oh, whoops…I should have taken Madison…sorry…don’t hate me…”

Hate you? I am going to f&%$ing kill you! I swear…this rivaled Manhattan Bridge for the most frustrating moment of the day. So we sat there in angry silence as it took this guy 30 minutes to get us from 45th Street to 55th Street…all the while he chit chatted in Spanish on his cell phone as tourists and daytrippers darted in and out of traffic…if my feet were working, I would have jumped out at a light…but alas…I was an invalid…and the Beard Sisters were now both ashen and nauseous. F&%$ing great! When we finally were dropped off sort of in front of The Shoreham, we threw a $20 bill and two singles at him (nice tip, right??)…and limped inside…directly to the elevator and up to room 305…where Mary awaited us…

And as we dropped our belongings and made deals on shower schedule and ordered up some room service, peppy Mary said she had bathed and was enjoying a glass of wine...and as we listed our complaints and showed our war wounds and swollen joints and ragged tootsies to the group, it became clear that there would be no girlie slumber partying, no fantasy pillow fights starring me, Mary and the Beard Sisters in our little nighties...sorry boys, I know you were hoping...No, maybe next time...instead, as Lisa, Suse and myself each emerged from the shower, exhaustion gripping our bodies, some odd little rash on Lisa's ankle and doubt shaking my confidence for my chances to continue on this journey tomorrow...I swear, in that shower I wept and told myself that I had to face facts, I was never going to make it another 13 miles in less than 10 hours out...I came out of the shower concerned and a little quiet...but Mary read me and she knew right away that she had to put the wine glass down and become nursemaid...And this is when room 305 thusly transformed into the Infir-Mary....

Suse -- whom I had teased when she told me she packed her electronic foot bath -- plugged that sucker in and poured about 3 pounds of the 10 pound bag of Epsom salt that she also brought along. How could I have ever giggled at her preparedness? Lisa and I laid down and Mary went to work performing surgery on our feet...I will leave the gory details out so you foot fetishists out there don't explode, but let's just say that the Beard Sisters were beyond genius in packing that needle and thread...who knew? And then, as the sliders we ordered from room service arrived (I took one bite before I gave up...one...), Mary examined my knee and ankle, the Aleve having worn off long ago, and determined that they were most likely sprained. And in my mind I am thinking of my Dad and Rob who have both endured knee replacements...and I am silently screaming at myself for walking 18 miles further after knowing I was injured...but I just could never have stopped...how could I? So Mary calls room service for more ice, which the guy brought up with the extra Heinz ketchup (we had the Beards of Pittsburgh with us, you see...)...and she elevated my knee and ankle and packed ziploc bags with ice cubes and covered my joints in them while I popped another Aleve. And I fell asleep that way. It was 10:15 p.m.

At 3 a.m. I woke and saw Lisa standing outside the bathroom...and I was wide awake in a millisecond and I needed to know right away: "How do your feet feel?" I asked. And she said: "They are actually fine...I feel ok." And I realized that my leg felt ok too... Neither one of us spoke again...and we fell asleep until the alarm rang at 7 a.m. I sat up in bed and swung my feet around to stand....

And dammit if my sprained leg and blistered feet and creaky joints weren't almost perfectly pain-free and unswollen and sort of flexible and ready to rock...and so...we dressed and readied and stretched and began day two.... I was secretly shocked...night before at 10 p.m., my prediction would have been all day Sunday in the ER...and here I was. And again, I just kept thinking of Kathy...I wasn't missing this for anything...so thrilled I didn't have to. And I remembered my grandmother...and I remembered how it was her spirit for sure that pushed me those last 2 miles...and I was sure it was her energy that made me ready and able to do it again. And off we went...back to East 84th and York Avenue, my family's street, and the start point for Day 2.

So the Jugheads were scattered about the route at different points...I started with the Shoreham posse -- the Beard Sisters, Mary, Helen and Sam...Suse on the phone determining the location of our teammates...and as we walked I realized that if I stopped at all...even for a minute or two, I was never going to make it to the end. And I do not know, maybe it was my grandmother again but at about 109th Street I clicked into high gear, put my head down and busted into a pace that took me to the head of the Jughead pack, Mary and Sam and Kim and Helen alongside me. And I wasn't in anyway trying to be anti-social...I could never be...but I just knew if I lollygagged or strolled my feet would never take me. And so...I barely spoke from Morningside Park all the way to Columbus Avenue and 77th when we all finally caught up for lunch...and I didn't want to stay there at this stop, but we waited for the whole group to catch up again before moving forward...and soon we were en route again...and soon I was silent and determined again, behind a couple from Bermuda who were blowing a kazoo all the way down Central Park West and into Midtown...and Sam and I were side by side, joined by Betsy and Ellen and Jen and Jessica, Mary up ahead a little as we passed 1185 Avenue of the Americas, my office...(back at work with Dad, another story...) and past Bryant Park where I was engaged and where I watched movies with Ellie this summer...and past Macy's and Herald Square where this woman wearing one of those "Save Second Base" buttons nearly stepped in front of a bus, and the Avon volunteer, this dude in leather chaps and muttonchops, said: "Hey lady, watch yourself...forget saving second base, you're going to lose homeplate too...and nobody wants that..." Sam and Betsy and I thought that was hysterical, the little double entrendre...yeah, we don't want to lose either of those. And as we hit Madison Square Park and got stuck behind this group of Euros shopping at the street fair, I grabbed Sam's wrist and was pushed passed them...because I knew that Union Square -- our final rest stop before the finish -- was not far beyond us. And I realized that I had not stopped at one rest stop or snack station or anything other than lunch since Harlem.

At Union Square some of the girls hit the potties and I stood waiting...and Chris and Susan and Nancy showed up and said the gang wasn't far behind...but as soon as Sam emerged, I grabbed her and said that I could not wait...I had to keep going...I waved to Chris and said: "I have to keep moving..." And we realized as we caught up with Mary and the YMCA posse and headed across 17th Street that we only had two miles to go from there.... At Tenth Avenue we found Dana who had busted ahead of Chris and Susan and Nance because her knee had become a major handicap....we only talked with her for a few minutes before we moved forward again. But as we rounded the bend passing Chelsea Piers, Sam and Mary just pulled out ahead and out of my reach....and somehow the YMCA posse lagged behind me...and I knew I had to get to 45th Street...and there I was at 23rd...and I was alone. I realized I had not seen the Beard Sisters or Kathy or Wendy or Teri or PJ or Kerri, my 12th Street Ale House sisters, since lunchtime...since mile 6. And I missed them at that moment...so I put my head down and said "only 20 more blocks to go" over and over again....and somehow that mantra carried me the rest of the way....

And about two blocks before the Finish Line I heard a familiar voice calling me: "Suz! Suz!...wait here with us!" And it was Mary and Sam...and they stood there with Mr. and Mrs. Rail, Kathy and Kerri's mom and dad...and they were there to cheer us on as we crossed the Finish Line. And Mary told me that we would wait here for the rest of the Jugheads so that we could cross together, as a team. Exactly as it should be...as we had all always meant for it to be...

And soon the YMCA posse was upon us, and ADP and Jodi and Kim came back over to find us...and I texted Suse who told me the rest of the group was only 4 blocks away, on 39th Street. And soon we could see them and we all cheered and clapped and hugged and Kathy kissed her mom and dad...and we all regrouped and some of us held hands and there were a few tears....and as we crossed the Finish Line together, Margaret and Jill were there cheering us on with their signs and happy support...again...giving us all high fives as we passed. Also waiting for us were some of the families, and friends from home...Kerry and Kelli and Jean from our church group were there handing out roses and taking pictures of us as we celebrated.

We did it.

Thirty-nine miles on broken knees, busted feet, stiff joints, nourished by crackers and Goldfish and SunChips and water...and one of us, only 3 days out from her treatment, the strongest of all... Twenty-three women, moms and wives and daughters and sisters...mostly we were sisters...we raised over $61,000 for breast cancer research and all we had to do was walk 39 miles with one another....

I wouldn't trade one second of it...I would walk over that Manhattan Bridge 10 times over risking my life against crazy bikers and determined Hasidic men and hallucination...I would quasi-jog/power walk up York Avenue against time and red lights and that sweep van...I would cry and hurt and lay in bed with my friends all wrapped in ice packs...damn, I would even take 30 minutes to go 10 blocks in a cab through Times Square all over again. This was an amazing experience...

And, believe it or not, we are already planning the return.... Jugheads 2010.
xoxoxoxo


Photos

1. Lisa and me applying a little electronic heat at the end of Day 1...somehow we picked our a**es up out of those seats only minutes later...
2. Kerri and Suse and a bunch of women we have never met taking in the foot massage station...
3. Lisa and I hanging onto one another as Suse leads us to the bus...seriously, how many shades of white separate us...I'd say she's Linen and I am Clotted Cream...
4. Our actual Shoreham Hotel beds...awaiting our arrival with their cushy pillows and soft sheets...
5. Illegal car service/Lincoln Town Car from hell...Hector/Miguel/Jose is lucky he didn't end up in the trunk...
6. Vortex of traffic/tourist/daytripping hell....
7. Me and my Shoreham roommates, Lisa, Suse and Mary, pre-Walk...much prettier and pulled together that Friday night, just before our fantasy pillow fight....
8. My tootsies in happier times...lavishing the sands of Longboat Key this past August...
9. The Beard Sisters and I...my walking partners, besties and 12th Street Ale House sisters...
10. Mary, Helen and Sam...the rest of The Shoreham posse, my Day 2 buddies....
11. Walking along, not stopping...
12. The Rail Sisters with Mom and Dad just before finishing....
13. The Jugheads cross the Finish Line...
14. Kathy and I celebrate the Finish...
15. The Jughead sisterhood...only 356 days until next year!!! Yes, yes...I am aware that we are insane...what else is new??

PS Thirteen years ago today Rob and I were married in the middle of a Nor'easter that shut down the entire Northeast...we always have to make a splash...A memorable and happy day...xo



1 comment:

Rob Anderson said...

I usually don't post my comments as I am lucky enough to help proof-read these each week and am able convey my thoughts directly before posting...but this series is different...these posts stirred something inside me worth mentioning.

I want to say you should all be so proud of what you accomplished...but that doesn't come close to doing it justice...from these accounts as well as the stories I have heard everyone tell, and the effect that this has had on all of you is really very moving and inspiring...

I have heard a lot of the stories and have read (and re-read) these posts and there are many themes/feelings that have been present throughout...the determination to continue on, no matter what; the inspiration drawn from your inspirational leader; the camaraderie and support for each other throughout it all...all of these things, among many others, makes me realize what a rewarding and emotional experience you all shared...to the point that I am just a bit envious.

It is actually a bit difficult for me to convey how proud I am of all of you, as words fail to convey the gravity of it all...Suz, your posts are always beautifully written but with these, it really allows all of us who weren't able to be there feel just a little bit of what you felt...and for that I am truly grateful...