Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cause You're There For Me Too...

This past Friday was Wendy and Roger's annual backyard beach bash/Flying Mueller Brothers concert...the party of the season...the one I have been writing about and referencing since I told you about the great spring social event among our set, Helen's Island-themed Reggae Splash 40th Birthday Bash. And I cannot even begin to cover the scene because it is like the ADD just overtakes me...and I can't even focus on who and what and where...it was that much fun. So maybe next time I will tell you all about the sand and the barefeet and the grill and the music and the surprise guest entertainer that brought the house down (with whom the professional photog took my picture...just you wait and see...)...how Suse was missing, how I missed her because being without my bestie at a social event here in town was just kind of bizarre and foreign...

...and how the women, my friends, all looked so lovely and carefree and happy, dancing and laughing...how a whole cache of men from our group were running a race up in New Hampshire, so a bevy of wives were unattached (for the night) and how we texted them pics of our fun time while they were having their own fun 350 miles away...how Gwen and I got yelled at for unintentionally cutting the bathroom line...and then how we scoffed at the b**ch and joined the wait at the men's port-o-potty instead...a sacrifice, as the women's bathroom was in the cabana, but we were heroes...and the guys always enjoy a little injection of womanly chitter-chatter while hanging on the traditionally dark and silent men's bathroom line...

...and how I was the first to leave again this year, at 12 midnight, leaving behind my entire group, my husband and friends...and best of all, how Sandy agreed to carry me on his back to catch my ride home from Nancy, because I could

no longer walk, couldn't even stand, like my little tootsies were on fire...and not because I was drunk, not at all...I had three Coors Lights all night (well, I did have a few sips of the signature Sex On The Beach cocktails, I even asked the bartendress to go a little light on the "sex" and a little heavier on the "beach"...which she misinterpreted and gave me a glass full of alcohol...rum and peach schnapps, I think...I would have thought asking for less "sex" in a drink would be pretty clear...apparently not..). Anyway, these throbbing feet were a result of these adorable 4-inch wedge sandals I was sporting with my Lucky jeans and pink Vineyard Vines tunic with the dolphins that I bought on Longboat Key...a $145 tunic, marked down to $36!!!!!!!! So, at any rate...I stupidly wore these uncomfortable shoes and my dear little sparkly toes just couldn't hack it beyond midnight. Well...I learned today that Sandy had forgotten to tell Mary that he hiked me up on his back and carried me across the sand for the entire town of Wyckoff and beyond to witness (and I must say...he was kind of acting like I was some sort of baby elephant, I'm not gonna lie...)...and I later learned that Sandy rode his bike home, Richie following him down Wyckoff Avenue as a precaution...thank god! because Sandy totally

wiped out in the middle of Wyckoff Avenue and from what I hear, Richie promptly p*ssed himself laughing. And though the night did not end up in Pina's kitchen over a pot full of homemade zeppoles, we still rocked it out. I have to say, we are such a fun lot....

But, I will tell you all about that another time, because what I really want to talk about is that Wendy and Roger decided to make this year's bash a fundraiser for breast cancer research...a cause that has taken on so much personal meaning for all of our friends this year. I have mentioned before that a whole group of us ladies are walking together in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in New York City this October...and our team, the Jugheads (complete with Helen, who jumped on board today!!), was formed in honor of our girl Kathy, who is so g**damn strong, you guys...so amazing...always making me laugh my a** off, making naughty but hilarious comments...still totally just cool Kathy, the way she always was and will be. Such a f***ing rock star. I am tearing up now, because I am just so proud to be her friend, to be a part of this team of women, my close friends walking together...to be

bonded even more so through this. And to have raised, as a team, over $50,000 for the cause....the sixth highest earning team in the New York City Walk. We rule.

So, at any rate...Wendy and Roger made it easy for the guests to donate...and it was still just a great big celebration and Kathy's whole family was there, in from the Island and enjoying a little slice of the Jersey social scene along with us (they could keep up pretty readily, I would say...surpassing us even...nice work, Rails!). And we all just did what we always do...had fun being with one another. And Roger and Wendy's guests -- so many of you among them -- were just beyond generous, the amount that was raised just in that one little night is truly staggering. And I will wait to say how much, I will let Kathy and Wendy and Roger have the privilege of telling you all what a great success the night was...but I will say, I fully expect the Jugheads team ranking to rise above 6th place when all is said and done.

So I guess I just wanted to tell you...just wanted you all to hear about it and know that even though I chitter-chat a lot about the silliness and debacles and debauchery and idiocy I encounter daily...even though I am here for fun and to share my life and times...I guess the lesson is always the same no matter what story we have to tell...so much good, so many blessings, come out of being surrounded by great people... It's that simple.

Love to you all...

xoxo Suz

PS Happy Birthday, sistergirlfriend/Jughead, Lisa H...


Photo 1
: One of those party shots texted to New Hampshire...the lucky lone man is Charlie, surrounded by the hotness that is (l to r) Kathy, me, Dana, Mary, Nancy and Kathleen....
Photo 2: Jugheads Kim, Nancy and Helen flank Joe...Helen getting extra friendly, I see...nice moves, H...!
Photo 3: Gwen and I braving it with all the dudes on line at the port-o-potty...such tough broads we are...
Photo 4: There I am in my $36 pink tunic, pounding the last of my three Coors Lights...Nancy, Helen, Annie and Gwen just getting started...
Photo 5: Helen, me and Pina dancing in the sand...my feet already burning...
Photo 6: Wendy and Suse with Kathy this May...my Jughead sisters, rock stars all three...

1 comment:

KR said...

that is an UNBELIEVABLE amount you raised! so amazing! all the quincy girls are walking on october 4th in boston!

can't wait for alumni weekend!!!