Wednesday, December 24, 2008

So This Is Christmas...

Ok my loves, it's Christmas Eve...I know, I should be wrapping and baking and primping and caroling and popping corks and tying up loose ends...well, no worries -- I am! And I still have time to rattle on to all of you...You know, I am a great multi-tasker, and the (undiagnosed) 
ADD allows me to juggle lots of endeavors, projects and relationships at once (sometimes not quite so well, but still...). So, I couldn't let this day pass without a little check in with all of you...

Wait, just an aside before I get started..my older two just walked into the living room holding plastic cups filled with that dirty, 5-day-old melting snow, spoons perched ready to crack into it like they were set to enjoy these delicious organic snow cones...Of course, I lost my sh*t and practically flew across the room like the vampires from Twilight (a must-see...) to knock it from their hands...and we are only one day into their 12 day-long break from school. My friends, I am thinking I might need to partake in some midday cocktailing or some other kind of selfish, fun diversion, so please, call here if you are planning a secret escape at any point in the next two weeks...

Ok, back to Christmas Greetings....I feel a little like a zombie robot (Katie Holmes?) this season, going through the motions -- shopping, cocktailing, cooking, baking, eating...ugh, the eating...You all know about the Cookies & Cocktails bash a few weeks ago (oh, the debauchery...will need an entire post to recount...just covering Latzy's quips alone will take a week...)...and on the night of the big blizzard or whatever it was, we had another cookie exchange with our motley crew of suburban gourmands. And did the snow stop a bunch of hungry broads? No way! Suse and I fully planned on walking over to Kate's house, twelve dozen cookies, hot from the oven appetizers and wine in hand (fondue pot was off-duty that night...even we aren't insane enough to carry appliances across town in the snow....) when Jen came to the rescue and we skidded all the way there in her little sedan. But, damn the snow, we got to pound those cookies for three hours straight, all washed down with Kahlua-spiked hot chocolate (kind of barfalicious now that I think about it)....which all makes for some problems with holiday fashion choices. The next night was Ann's annual Open House (such fun) and upon arrival I discovered that it was not only me who was conscious of my developing cookie bloat...Nancy confessed that she had eaten cookies for breakfast everyday for two weeks and was also forced to wear her Plan B outfit that night...I think I had on Plan C....and Suse "went green" recycling an outfit from church ladies party earlier in the week...

Ok, so anyway, where was I? (Hey, look, I told you about the ADD...)..So this all made me think that this season can be a killer, especially for those of us with Santa-believing little children and needy relatives to visit far and wide...and why do we do it all? Because it's tradition...which is so important, really...we are blessed to have these annual reminders of how truly special, and necessary our traditions are...For some of us it is the one yearly nod back to our grandparents and those we love who have moved on...maybe it's going to midnight Mass, or baking great-Aunt Helen's caramel-pecan pound cake, or weeping profusely through the entire second half of Love Actually (my own secret tradition...), or hanging up all the Christmas photo cards for all your guests to see, or chowing on cinnamon buns during the morning gift exchange, or, with the crazy Ritt-family, going down the stairs to open gifts in height order...So it is like we are saying to those that we miss: "You are here with us still." And we will (and do) go out of our way to make sure these moments happen every year...to make sure we build memories for our children and families and those that we love. And even though we are stressed and overwhelmed and just mindlessly running around, trying to remember that last envelope of cash we need to dole out...in the end, the pay-off, being surrounded by love, is well worth the maddness....

So Happy Christmas, my friends....I will be thinking of all of you...

xo, S


Photo 1: The Anderson Christmas tree, '07....we killed it within days and had to go out and get a second one...RIP
Photo 2: Some non-toxic snow cones....apparently unappealing to my little boos...
Photo 3: Some anonymous Wyckoff MILFs who claim they want their privacy protected...no such thing as "off the record," ladies....
Photo 4: Ugh...gooey sweet M&M-laden Christmas cookies...as decorated by Anderson offspring...
Photo 5: Last Christmas....my angels and truest of loves...best gifts ever!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I sit in traffic on the way to Long Island for the big fat Italian Christmas eve shabang, I read your blog. And how true it is to have the blessing of family even those that have become our angels.

Anonymous said...

So funny.....I have cinnamon rolls baking in the oven as I read this. Merry Christmas...have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

I am just waiting to hear if any good fun facts will be spilled from the c&c party...since I got nutin so far, I am hoping but doubtful anything will be divulged...oh well, I can imagine a nightie clad pillow fight, which is prob better than real life anyway...